The Darkest Minds

The Darkest Minds

Book - 2018
Average Rating:
Rate this:
53
40
17
 …
When Ruby woke up on her tenth birthday, something about her had changed. Something frightening enough to make her parents lock her in the garage and call the police. Something that got her sent to Thurmond, a brutal government "rehabilitation camp." She might have survived the mysterious disease that had killed most of America's children, but she and the others have emerged with something far worse: frightening abilities they could not control. Now sixteen, Ruby is one of the dangerous ones. When the truth comes out, Ruby barely escapes Thurmond with her life. She is on the run, desperate to find the only safe haven left for kids like her - East River. She joins a group of kids who have escaped their own camp. Liam, their brave leader, is falling hard for Ruby. But no matter how much she aches for him, Ruby can't risk getting close. Not after what happened to her parents. When they arrive at East River, nothing is as it seems, least of all its mysterious leader. But there are other forces at work, people who will stop at nothing to use Ruby in their fight against the government. Ruby will be faced with a terrible choice, one hat may mean giving up her only chance at having a life worth living.
Publisher: New York : Hyperion Books, [2018]
Edition: Hyperion trade paperback movie tie-in edition
Copyright Date: ©2013
ISBN: 9781368042123
1368042120
Characteristics: 488, [79] pages ; 22 cm

Opinion

From the critics


Community Activity

Comment

Add a Comment
Barrie_Teen_Lists Mar 24, 2021

Hello Readers, this is a review for the book The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken. I give this book 5/5 stars. It was AMAZING! I have no major issues with this book. It gave me everything I wanted and was expecting and then some. I was in love with this book by the third chapter. I could not put it down! This book was so good I stayed up all night reading on multiple occasions. So now I'll give you a little summary of what the book is about. The story starts off with the main character (Ruby) as a young naive girl. She is living in a world rocked by a devastating disease called IAAN that only affects kids. This disease is kind of where the whole story starts. Kids in Ruby’s fourth grade class are disappearing at an alarming rate and it isn't too long before the government decides that enough is enough and sends all the surviving kids to camps around the country. At the time Ruby doesn't really know why she is being shipped off, but later realizes that all the kids not killed by the disease have developed extraordinary powers. They are henceforth known as the Psi kids. When all the kids first arrive at their camps they are sorted into groups by power. There are five different known powers: red (the ability to control and create fire); orange (the ability to read and control minds); yellow (the ability to create and control electricity); blue (the ability to move objects with your mind), and; green (heightened intelligence).

So when Ruby is brought to camp she is classified as a Green, when in reality she is an Orange. It is a good thing this mistake was made though because in later years all the Reds, Yellows, and Oranges were killed because they were thought to have been “too dangerous.” Ruby stays in the camp for six years until she finally escapes. I'll leave the details of her escape for you to find out. Anyways after escaping she finds herself with three other Psi kids. Liam, Chubs, and Suzume. They all strike up an easy friendship as the book progresses. Ruby and Liam even develop a romantic relationship. Anyways Ruby discovers that they are looking for the “East River,” a small encampment for Psi kids to live away from the control of the camps and government. When they finally find the “East River” they meet a very important person and the story progresses from there. There is a bit of a surprise at the end of the book. I recommend this book to anyone who is searching for their next great read.

h
Happy_Endings
Mar 20, 2021

Don’t know how I missed this series! Such a good book. That’s why so many quotations have been added. This book will stick with you!

d
Delta_07
Mar 06, 2021

The Darkest Minds is a dystopian novel taking place in the not-so-distant-future where a disease called IAAN has killed 98% of the child population. But what is even more concerning are the powers that the other 2% develop, causing the government to create “rehabilitation camps” for the survivors. Ruby Daly, our main character is one of those survivors, and she carries a secret that could get her killed, so when she is offered the chance to escape, she takes it and goes on the run. Once she escapes, she joins a group of fellow fugitives that she quickly befriends. From there, we follow Ruby’s journey as she navigates an outside world that is very different from the one she left behind six years ago.
This book is an amazing read! It was gripping and I couldn’t rip my eyes away from the page. It’s definitely not a light book, so if you don’t like gore or some slightly more mature scenes, then this is not for you. If, however, you are a fan of grittier books, like The Hunger Games or Divergent, you might enjoy this book. All the characters felt real and fleshed out, a difficult task for a book that takes place during such different circumstances than what we’re living in. The only big negative for me, however, was one slightly mature scene near the end that might be too strong for some. Ultimately, though, this is a book that is a new favorite, and I highly recommend picking it up!

i
indigo_wolf_391
Nov 05, 2020

A disease known as IAAN has killed 92% of America’s children leaving the remaining 8% with strange abilities. This series follows Ruby Daly, who wakes up on her tenth birthday to find that her parents dont know who she is. Unable to run she is shipped off to thermund, one of the many abusive rehabilitation camps. She is able to slip through processing and get labeled as a green which allows her to survive for the next six years. But after being offered escape by the children's league(an undercover organisation trying to free all the kids) she has to choose, run or stay with the girls from her cabin and hope they dont discover her.
This book series is the most well thought out trilogy I have ever read. Bracken writes as if the setting is happening in our current world, making this series much more gripping and relatable. With a diverse group of characters and uncalled for twists this book and trilogy are sure to be a favorite. I originally picked up this series after watching the 2018 movie and was blown away by how much better the books are. I don't think I could recommend or love this series more.

p
pink_chicken_94
Nov 03, 2020

Honestly, not as good as people make it. Most of the book was boring with few exciting parts.

r
red_dog_1711
Jun 29, 2020

In the pandemic and I watched the movie a year ago. Looks so cool. Now I am going to read it.

i
IndigoDragon77
Jun 20, 2020

I really really enjoyed this book. I am a little obsessed with pandemics right now, and I love a bit of fantasy, so this was a perfect combination for me. I found it easy to relate to Ruby even though she makes several poor decisions. I did actually feel satisfied with the ending as it did tie up most of the threads in the story, but it felt a little rushed. Highly recommend!

b
BookDragon07
May 14, 2020

so so so so so good. I highly recommend.

b
Banna25
Nov 10, 2019

I started reading this book at friends house a few months ago. I had been thinking about this book, and decided to read the whole book this time. It was so good! I just had one small problem... there are two Liams, and a Ruby in my grade. Still an amazing book!

a
Anna Beyer
Jun 25, 2019

so touching. sometimes I'm crying, others i feel like the book grabbed my insides and was shaking them up. Liam is my favorite character, by far. Clancy was a bully, he liked Ruby then he hurt her. what is up with that? My friend recommended it for me, it was amazing!!!!! I totally suggest any one to read this book. there are a few swears, but the book it's self was a great read. And it ends with a cliffhanger,( when do they not?!) so I'm soo exited to read Never Fade.

View All Comments

Quotes

Add a Quote
i
indigo_wolf_391
Nov 05, 2020

“He's so busy looking inside people to find the good that he misses the knife they're holding in their hand.”
Alexandra Bracken

h
Hannah Acabal
Sep 11, 2020

"It feels like we should do something. Like, send her off on a barge out to sea and set her on fire. Let her go out in a blaze of glory."

"Its a minivan, not a Viking."

k
Kaelynmcintyre
Jun 02, 2019

“I pulled myself from his mind, day by day, piece by piece, memory by memory, until there was nothing of Ruby left to weigh him down or keep him bound to my side"

t
Tamiku
Jul 27, 2015

“Don’t be scared. Don’t let them see.”

j
julietteferrars
Jul 07, 2014

“Dreaming led to disappointment, and disappointment to a kind of depressed funk that wasn’t easy to shake. Better to stay in the gray than get eaten by the dark.”

j
julietteferrars
Jul 07, 2014

“But hey, what's life without a little adversity?"
That had to have been the fakest attempt at optimism since my fourth grade teacher tried reasoning that we were better off without the dead kids in our class because it'd mean more turns on the playground swings for the rest of us.”

j
julietteferrars
Jul 07, 2014

“Where did she come from, and where can I find one?"

"Picked this one up at a gas station in West Virginia, bargain price. Last one on the shelf, sorry.”

j
julietteferrars
Jul 07, 2014

“I pulled myself from his mind, day by day, piece by piece, memory by memory, until there was nothing of Ruby left to weigh him down or keep him bound to my side..”

j
julietteferrars
Jul 07, 2014

“Maybe nothing will ever change for us,” he said. “But don’t you want to be around just in case it does?”

j
julietteferrars
Jul 07, 2014

“...crackers..." a voice breathed out nehind us, "yesss..."
Both of us turned, watching as Chubs twisted around in his seat and settled back down, still fast asleep.
I pressed a hand over my mouth to keep from laughing. Liam rolled his eyes, smiling.
"He dreams about food," he said. "A lot.”

View All Quotes

Age

Add Age Suitability
i
indigo_wolf_391
Nov 05, 2020

indigo_wolf_391 thinks this title is suitable for 12 years and over

h
Hannah Acabal
Sep 11, 2020

Hannah Acabal thinks this title is suitable for 13 years and over

o
olive_cat_258
Jun 03, 2020

olive_cat_258 thinks this title is suitable for 13 years and over

c
Crowfeather77
Aug 16, 2019

Crowfeather77 thinks this title is suitable for 14 years and over

a
Anna Beyer
Jun 25, 2019

Anna Beyer thinks this title is suitable for 12 years and over

k
Kaelynmcintyre
Jun 02, 2019

Kaelynmcintyre thinks this title is suitable for 12 years and over

t
TheRandomBoi
Apr 18, 2019

TheRandomBoi thinks this title is suitable for 16 years and over

r
Ravindersidhu
Apr 13, 2019

Ravindersidhu thinks this title is suitable for 13 years and over

a
amoussa
Mar 13, 2017

amoussa thinks this title is suitable for 12 years and over

t
TimeLordSTorm
Dec 15, 2015

TimeLordSTorm thinks this title is suitable for 10 years and over

View All Ages

Summary

Add a Summary
i
indigo_wolf_391
Nov 05, 2020

A disease known as IAAN has killed 92% of America’s children leaving the remaining 8% with strange abilities. This series follows Ruby Daly, who wakes up on her tenth birthday to find that her parents dont know who she is. Unable to run she is shipped off to thermund, one of the many abusive rehabilitation camps. She is able to slip through processing and get labeled as a green which allows her to survive for the next six years. But after being offered escape by the children's league(an undercover organisation trying to free all the kids) she has to choose, run or stay with the girls from her cabin and hope they dont discover her.

a
AmaranthWolf
Oct 24, 2013

In this bleak, action-packed book, 98 percent of the children in America have been killed by a virus - and the other two percent have developed frightening powers that they can't control, prompting the government to lock them up in "rehabilitation camps." Sixteen-year-old Ruby has escaped from one of these camps, along with a small group of others who, like her, are looking for the one secure haven they've heard about... but they'll have to make it there without being captured or killed first. This often violent novel's twists and turns will keep you guessing, and there's also plenty to pull fans of well-developed characters into its harsh, dark world

w
whdn
Apr 21, 2013

Sixteen-year-old Ruby wakes up on the morning of her tenth birthday only to discover that her parents don't know who she is. She is brought to a camp for people like her and barely escapes with her life. On the run, she meets a group of kids from another camp, and soon she finds herself a part of their band as well. Now she is searching for the rumored East River,and at the same time Ruby is falling for Liam, her group's new leader. Knowing what a monster she is, she cannot afford to get close. But can she really learn to stay away? And will Ruby ever learn to control her power? The same power that made her parents forget her and send her to the place where it all started? Read "The Darkest Minds" to find out...

Notices

Add Notices
i
indigo_wolf_391
Nov 05, 2020

Coarse Language: In this book the language isn't that bad but later in the series there is a character that comes in who cusses a lot. honestly it's nothing middle schoolers have not heard.

a
AmaranthWolf
Oct 24, 2013

Violence: Mild fantasy violence, not too bad. Still a great book.

Explore Further

Browse by Call Number

Subject Headings

  Loading...

Find it at CPL

  Loading...
[]
[]
To Top